Kris enjoys the fast pace of the ever-changing life sciences industry in which she focuses her intellectual property (IP) and technology licensing practice.
As co-vice-chair of the firm’s Intellectual Property practice specialty center, Kris counsels clients on how to manage and protect their intellectual property and data and use their IP assets strategically. She drafts and negotiates complex agreements related to technology and software licensing, software and web development, joint development and confidentiality. Kris often negotiates these agreements for healthcare, higher education, cannabis and biofuel clients.
Kris is skilled in preparation and prosecution of patent and trademark applications; proceedings before the Trademark Trial and Appeal Board, and the Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers; foreign patent and trademark protection; and licensing of intellectual property rights.
Kris has prepared and prosecuted patents across industries, with a particular emphasis on biochemical and chemical patent prosecution. She represents clients in a variety of technologies, including biotechnology, energy and biofuels, agricultural chemistry, cannabis and industrial hemp, chemical compounds, compositions and processes, software, healthcare and mechanical devices.
- Negotiated multimillion-dollar EMR and other types of software agreements on behalf of large hospital systems.
- Negotiated $40 million HR software agreement for the world's largest home improvement retailer.
- Prepared and prosecuted patents for medical device company's anchor device for heart surgery.
- Provided intellectual property work, including Food and Drug Administration (FDA), trademarks and warranty, for West Coast medical device company that manufactures systems for respiratory care.
- Drafted patents for startup company that creates polymer-based, orthopedic 3-D casts.
- Prosecuted patent for surgical device that stabilizes femur for incisions.
- Advised SCL Health System on sale of Providence Medical Center in Kansas City, Kansas, and Saint John Hospital in Leavenworth, Kansas, to California-based Prime Healthcare Services. Transaction completed less than three months after Prime Healthcare was selected as preferred bidder in nationwide auction process.
- Represented Springfield, Missouri-based CoxHealth in completing affiliation transaction with Skaggs Regional Medical Center in Branson, Missouri.
- Missouri Lawyers Weekly, "Up & Coming Lawyer," 2014
- KC Business Magazine, Rising Stars, Class of 2013
- J.D., University of Missouri-Kansas City School of Law
- TWA Environmental Law Scholarship
- University of Missouri-Kansas City Student Government Association Superior Court, Chief Justice
- Urban Lawyer, Articles Editor
- B.S., Kansas State University
- U.S. District Court, Western District of Missouri
- U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
- CommunityLINC, Board of Directors, 2014-present
- Niles Home for Children, Board of Directors, 2005-2013
CBD & Industrial Hemp
Chemistry & Biotech
Clinical Research & Trials
Data Privacy, Cybersecurity &
Intellectual Property Counseling
Licensing & Tech Transfer
Patent Preparation &
Software Development &
Trademarks & Copyrights
Kris Kappel is speaking at CREW KC's January 21, 2020 program.